For Fourth of July, 2014, my family and I had an outdoor picnic dinner in order to celebrate America. (Mom and I used to pick up KFC and head to The Mall in Washington, D.C.)
We are all very health-conscious (now), so this recipe removes the skin and bakes the chicken in the oven instead of frying this dish. Here is another way to try this American dish.
· 12 chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks) with bones, skin removed
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
· 3 tablespoons hot sauce (Frank’s)
· 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used half panko, half regular)
· 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
· 1/4 cup all purpose flour
· 1/2 teaspoon paprika
· 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· In a gallon bag, combine buttermilk, oil, hot sauce, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Squeeze to mix and coat chicken. Chill at least 3 hours (or up to 1 day), squeezing chicken bag occasionally.
|My adorable nephew, helping prepare the chicken (aka: squishing it!)|
· Preheat oven to 425°F. Place 2 ‘cooling’ racks on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. (I was not at my home, so skipped this step – do NOT skip it. It’s what will make the underside of your chicken crispy as well as the top.)
Whisk breadcrumbs, cheese, flour, thyme, paprika, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt in large baking dish to blend.
· Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Add chicken to breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat completely. Arrange chicken on racks on baking sheets.
Bake until crisp, golden and cooked through, about 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Fourth of July Recipes:
Oven-Fried Chicken – http://boysandbeets.blogspot.com/2014/08/oven-fried-chicken.html
Green Bean Salad http://boysandbeets.blogspot.com/2014/08/green-and-purple-bean-and-tomato-salad.html
German Potato Salad http://boysandbeets.blogspot.com/2014/08/german-potato-salad-with-bacon-and-dill.html
Original Recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spicy-oven-fried-chicken